Spring break is upon us.
Before you get all caught up in a frenzy of beach vacations and parties, getting a laser hair removal treatment must top your self-care list if you want to look your best in those bikinis and chic outfits.
Healthy skin that glows is great, but giving it a silky finish is the cherry on top. A bikini laser hair removal adds more oomph to your beach look.
Waxing or electrolysis hair removal may be options, but laser hair removal is a better way to achieve a more lasting result with less pain and hassle. Think of it as your spring break essential! To help you get there, we’ve compiled a beauty guide with all the essential info you need for a laser hair removal treatment.
Table of Contents
What is Laser Hair Removal
Laser hair removal is a cosmetic procedure that uses laser or highly concentrated light beam pulses to target hair follicles and keep hair from growing. It’s usually done to remove unwanted or excessive hair on the face, like the upper lip and chin, underarms, bikini line, back, legs, thighs, or arms.
It should be performed by a board-certified dermatologist or a medical professional trained and certified to do laser procedures. While it’s usually sought for aesthetic results by those who want hair-free, smooth skin, patients who suffer from skin conditions like hirsutism and hypertrichosis may also try it.
Hirsutism is a skin condition in women that results in excessive dark, coarse hair growth in male-like patterns, including the face, chest, thighs, and back. The causes could be one of many- PCOS, tumors, abnormal production of hormones, and certain medications.
Hypertrichosis, on the other hand, affects both men and women and results in excessive hair growth on any part of the body. It’s caused by elevated levels of testosterone. In addition, it may be caused by certain medications or other factors like malnutrition, advanced HIV infection, traumatic brain injuries, juvenile hypothyroidism, juvenile dermatomyositis, and acromegaly.
Both hair growth conditions may be congenital or acquired.
Unwanted Hair’s Impact on Self-image and Quality of Life
For women, having visible hair growth in the wrong places can affect their self-image. Excessive hair growth beyond normal can also psychologically affect both men and women. It affects their quality of life, relationships, and mental and emotional wellness.
A facial laser hair removal can provide a more permanent solution for women with visible upper lip or chest hair. Other areas in the body with excessive hair growth can also be treated with the laser method.
How Exactly Does Laser Hair Removal Work?
It uses a method called selective photothermolysis. From the term itself, we can extract three elements: Light (photo), heat (thermal), and cell disintegration (lysis).
The heat coming from a laser destroys pigmented or dark cells.
Because hair is darker than the skin, the laser’s heat targets the hair and destroys the follicles, preventing hair from growing as usual. The follicles must be in their anagen or growth stage for this procedure to work.
Follicle stages vary, so some patients may need more sessions than others to achieve desired results.
Who Qualifies For Laser Hair Removal Treatment?
The best candidates are those who have light skin color and dark hair. This contrast is essential for the process to work. Its efficacy is limited for patients with darker skin tones and fine, light-colored hair. A dermatologist needs to assess your skin first to determine whether the procedure would be suitable for you.
[Click here for free consultation]
How Long Does the Result Last?
Unlike other hair removal methods, laser hair removal treatment takes care of the root, inhibiting regrowth, if at all. Some patients take years or even a decade before seeing hair growth again, which is significantly lighter and less. Others take a few months, and when the hair regrows, it is visibly finer and less noticeable.
Most patients swear by its more lasting effect than band-aid fixes like tweezing, waxing, or applying topical creams.
How Much Does a Laser Hair Removal Service Cost?
The cost depends on the area and size to be treated, hair texture and thickness, the number of sessions needed, the medical doctor who will perform the procedure, the facility, and the location. It ranges from $100 to $800 per session in the U.S.; in Canada, the cost is usually between $75 to $500 per session.
Benefits of Laser Hair Removal Treatment
● It makes skin smoother and more even-toned
● Less time and energy to spend on temporary treatments like waxing or shaving
● Less painful compared to waxing
● Eliminates ingrown hairs and bumpy skin that usually come with waxing, shaving, or tweezing
● It boosts confidence, making you more comfortable and happy with your skin
● It has a more lasting, if not permanent, result
● It takes only a few sessions to turn your body hair issue around
● It is a safe, quick, and convenient procedure, and there is generally no downtime after. Your skin may be reddish or swollen, but you can immediately return to your normal activities
Preparation For a Laser Hair Removal Treatment
● Avoid sun exposure and do not use tanning beds two weeks before the procedure. Use a broad-spectrum sunscreen with at least 30 SPF daily
● Do not apply topical products with ingredients that increase the skin’s photosensitivity, like retinol, isotretinoin, salicylic acids, benzoyl peroxide, etc., at least three days before the procedure
● Do not have Botox, dermal fillers, peeling, or microdermabrasion procedures at least two weeks before the laser procedure
● Do not wax, tweeze, or use depilatory creams or products for two weeks before the procedure. Shaving is allowed before and in between sessions and is required before the process
● On the day of the procedure, shower, but do not apply any oil, cream, lotions, or fragrances on your skin. The skin should be clean and shaven
What to Expect During the Procedure
During the treatment, the areas of your body that will not be treated are covered, exposing only the treatment area. During the application of the laser, you may experience minimal pain and discomfort, especially in sensitive areas like the face or underarms. It feels like being snapped by a rubber band or lightly and warmly pricked by tiny pins.
Depending on the treatment area, the entire process takes less than an hour. Depending on the patient’s skin type, patients need 2 to 6 sessions to achieve the desired hair-free result.
After the procedure, a topical soothing gel is applied to relax the skin and minimize the redness, swelling, tingling, or itchiness.
It is crucial to have the treatment done by trained medical professionals to avoid possible risks like scarring or blistering.
Laser Hair Removal Post-care
After the treatment, it’s imperative to do the following to get the optimum results.
● Avoid sun exposure, especially to the treated area. Use high-SPF sunscreen
● Use prescription creams- as directed- to reduce discomfort or pain after the procedure
● To minimize temporary swelling, apply a cold compress several times within a day or until relieved
● Your sessions should be spaced at least 4 to 6 weeks apart
● Do not get a tan or use tanning lotions or beds, as they can irritate the treated area
● Do not use lotions, creams, oils, perfumes, or deodorants on the treated area
How to Have Laser Hair Removal on a Limited Budget
Ready to get the procedure but need help determining how you can afford it? Beautifi, can give you access to this treatment through flexible, easy payment term loans.
Depending on how much you can afford to pay over a period, we can provide you with a loan within your budget so you can enjoy the benefits of laser hair treatment now – while spreading out your payments based on your financial capabilities. We also provide our clients access to the best doctors in Canada and beyond, a range of cosmetic procedures, and guides to ensure a satisfying beauty journey.
[Apply for a patient loan now]
Our application process is quick and straightforward, our requirements are easy, our approval rates are high, and it’s all 100% online.
We’re here to help you achieve your skin goals this spring break and any time of the year. Contact us today and keep unwanted hair away permanently!